Monday, March 18, 2013

Lemon-Lavender Shortbread Cookies

Lemon-Lavender Shortbread Cookies

I'm having a bit of trouble focusing on this blog post, because I just got done watching the season finale of Girls for the second time. I have so many things that I could write regarding this episode, especially pertaining to Shoshanna's speech (which I won't elaborate on because I don't want to spoil things for those of you who haven't watched yet), however, my main bit of confusion stems from one minor detail of the episode: why the heck did Marnie steal the menorah? What was the point of that? Am I missing something here? Thank you Lena Dunham for messing with my mind, yet again.

Let's talk cookies. That's why you're here. These are my attempt at summoning spring weather. I love winter, but I'm at the point of the year where I'm over it, and I'm ready to experience the two glorious weeks of beautiful weather that DC gets before becoming disgustingly hot and humid.

Typically, I avoid using hard to find ingredients here on A Bitchin' Kitchen, because I want you guys to actually make the stuff I post. Half the fun of blogging is getting a comment from someone telling you that they made and loved your recipe (not that this one is my invention, credit goes to Kristin for that!) However, these are really tasty, and worth the pain of finding culinary lavender (there's a link to buy it in the recipe below.) The lavender taste is subtle in these, but don't be tempted to add extra. You want these to taste like cookies, not soap! The lavender gives these a nice, light, floral flavor and scent, and you mostly taste lemon and butter.

Lemon-Lavender Shortbread Cookies




Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Zest of 2 lemons, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried lavender buds, chopped finely*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Add the butter, powdered sugar, zest of 1 lemon, lavender, vanilla, and salt to a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the flour, and beat until a dough is formed. This takes about 5 minutes if you're using a hand mixer, so don't be alarmed that your dough starts out looking like sand.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar until fragrant.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle 3/4 of the lemon sugar on top (you will use the remaining 1/4 of the lemon sugar in the same fashion when you re-roll the shortbread dough), and gently press it into the dough with the rolling pin. Using a small biscuit cutter, cut out shapes from the dough, and transfer to the prepared cookie sheet. Re-roll, and cut additional cookies.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, and cool completely on the cookie sheet. 

*Be sure to use culinary lavender, and not lavender intended for any other purpose. I bought mine from Dean and Deluca, and the blog I got this recipe from indicated that it can also be purchased in health food stores.

Yield: 12-14 cookies

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from Pastry Affair

14 comments:

  1. Fancy! I love getting out of my comfort zone and trying exotic ingredients like this. And Lemon Lavender is my second favorite Yankee candle smell, so I'm guessing these are amazing!

    Any chance you can come up with a Sage and Citrus cookie next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Girls! I've been without internet for weeks but I HAD to use the last of this month's cell phone data to catch up thanks to borrowing a friend's HBOGo password. Such a good idea. The last episode gave me so many feels. Awesome cookies, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm lemon and lavender have to be my favorite flavor combination, these look simply perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually found this page when I googled "why did Marnie steal the menorah?" I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that! Meanwhile, these cookies sound beautiful! I love my lavender tea but don't drink so much in summer, so it's nice to have a brand new use for it. Will try these in the holidays over easter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one wondering about that! Let me know if you end up making these :)

      Delete
  5. i was just telling Kevin the other day that I need to make lemon cookies soon. I can only imagine how amazing these are Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavender in cookies sounds heavenly! Ive had lavender tea and cakes, but never in cookies. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These look amazing. Although, I do have a small question. I was looking for this recipe and I found it here, but it only yields 12-14 cookies? Would you say that it's okay to double the recipe all at once? Or make individual batches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's okay to double the recipe all at once, but I'd probably split the dough in half to roll it out - just to make it more manageable! Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. I just bought two big packets of lavender today, and now I have another recipe to use them in! It's such a fab spring flavor, especially paired with lemon. Love the look of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made these from your recipe!!
    OH MY GOD YUM.
    First time. I took a pic to send you as well- wowowowoowowowow!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you use fresh lavender in this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi - you need to use dried culinary-grade lavender for this.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio