Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

You know how you're supposed to bring new parents stuff like casserole?

That's not how I roll. Unless its my dad's awesome hash brown casserole, or has the words french toast in its immediate vicinity, casserole is usually not my thing.

However, friends of mine just had an adorable new baby, and when I went over to their house a couple weeks ago to snuggle her, and pet her soft hair, and inhale her new baby smell I wanted to bring them something edible. So, I brought them cookies using two of the most delicious flavors known to humankind: chocolate and peanut butter.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Thank God I gave these cookies away. You may not be able to tell from the photos, but that's a regular sized Reese's cup in the center of the cookie, and tiny peanut butter cups in the cookie itself. These suckers are 4-5 inches across each. Ginormous. If I'd made these for the heck of it without having a recipient in mind, it would've been super dangerous to have these sitting around.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

P.S. If you like these, you may want to check out my small-batch peanut butter cupcakes with fudge frosting, peanut butter and fleur de sel brownies, and my peanut butter cheesecake swirl brownies!

P.P.S. This is completely unrelated to cookies, but if you need a laugh, go read this hilarious post from Don't Quote the Raven. I found this a few weeks ago, and have been meaning to share it with you guys ever since. I sent it to one of my friends, and she started laugh-crying so badly that she had to leave her office. You've been warned.

P.P.P.S. I'm writing this at 11 p.m. Tuesday night, and I keep peeking out the window looking for snow. DC is about to get its first significant snowfall in 2 years, and I'm vacillating between excitement and annoyance. Mostly annoyance, since I'm mentally ready for spring, and don't feel like dealing with the power outage that will most likely accompany this storm. I wanted snow in December, not now! Blergh. I know this snowstorm is supposed to hit a lot of areas, so stay warm, friends!

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) bag Reese's Mini Peanut Butter Cups
16 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped*

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until a dough forms.

Stir in mini-peanut butter cups by hand. Divide the dough into 16 equal balls of dough. Flatten slightly with your hand, forming a thick disc. Place 5 or 6 dough discs on the prepared baking sheet, evenly spaced. (These will spread about an inch in circumference.)

Bake for 8 minutes, and remove from the oven. Immediately place a Reese's cup in the center of each cookie, and return to the oven to bake for 3 minutes more. Remove from the oven, and cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Bake the remaining dough discs in the same fashion, being careful not to put them too close together!

*I bought the Reese's cups that came 8 to a pack in the candy aisle at Target. I might be crazy, but I think they're slightly smaller than the kind that come in a 2-pack at the grocery store checkout.  I think they're cheaper anyway, so buy the 8-pack kind.

Yield: 16 cookies

Printer-friendly 
Source: The Novice Chef 

25 comments:

  1. you can't go wrong with peanut butter & chocolate! these look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These are definitely not something I could have in my house-- I think my boyfriend and I would seriously get in a fight over who ate them all when they were gone, they sound too incredibly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would be worth the fight...trust me :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness Yummy, there is nothing better than chocolate and peanut butter! I cannot wait to make these! I love your blog, I found it while searching for baked potato soup on pinterest and have now tried several different recipes. They have all been hits for my little family. Keep the yumminess coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the WHAT?! I was pretty into these cookies already, and then you mentioned they're 5" across...come to mama! There are few things as awesome as a ginormous cookie. And when that cookie has chocolate and peanut butter, all the better!

    P.S. Just found your blog and have a total girl crush. Love you, mean it, don't be scared I'm not a stalker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, this is my favorite comment I have ever received. Thanks so much, Liz! Also, if "what the WHAT?" was a 30 Rock reference, consider the girl crush reciprocated!

      Delete
  5. Pretty sure this is the perfect cookie. I cannot wait to make this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies trump a casserole any day, Maggie! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies are amazeballs! And that haircut in the link is incredible. Holy crap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups really do make cookies even better! Actually, they make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie they look AMAZING! You don't have to pull my arm to make a peanut butter cookie and even better that it has a PB cup in the middle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea of switching up a kinda thumbprint cookie. I also bring sweets along with a casserole or lasagna for new parents. I will have to add this to my go-to recipes for new parents... Until some of my pregnant friends have their babies I guess I will have to be the taste-tester!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom-in-law has a spin-off of this. We use a mini-muffin tin and cut a fourth cookie dough and place into the muffin tin. Bake as cookie recipe suggests. When they come out of the muffin tin, place the peanut butter cup in the middle. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These make me want to have another baby! If I do, can I have some of these? This is my kind of cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I knew having a baby would land me a batch of these gorgeous PB-chocolate monsters, I think I'd be far less terrified. Way to go big!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband wants me to make these for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh the new baby smell....almost as good as cookies....almost!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought they were mini Reese's in the center....these babies must be huge if that's a full size Reese's! Doesn't matter...b/c they look CRAZY GOOD! They are the perfect texture for PB cookies. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. iam sorry to say that your content has been stolen. take a look at this link

    http://foodready.blogspot.in/2013/03/peanut-butter-cup-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished making these. They are cooling on my baking racks as I type this. I made a double recipe and it made a total of 17 cookies. They are not huge cookies either. I'm not complaining about the amount....just thought I'd mention it. But the results are heavenly. I LOVE these cookies. The only change I made was instead of the mini pb cups, I added half milk choc chips and half peanut butter chips. I would have used the mini cups but didn't have any besides my full size ones. These cookies did not look done when I removed them from the oven but they set up nicely while cooling. I did not place them back in oven after I placed the cup on top. The heat from the baked cookie melted the cup within minutes. When I ate warm cookie, the large pub cup just dripped onto my hand. Now THAT is good stuff. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio