Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Tilapia Tacos + Black Bean Salad

Healthy Mexican Dinner: Tilapia Tacos + Black Bean Salad from A Bitchin' Kitchen

My name is Maggie, and I am a taco-holic.

This is the sixth taco recipe that I've posted on A Bitchin' Kitchen. If I could open a restaurant or a food truck that exclusively sold tacos, I would. In addition to being insanely delicious, they're one of the most versatile foods ever. Do you want a quick and healthy taco? You're looking at them in this post. Do you want a slow-cooked and indulgent taco? Allow me to refer you to my barbacoa recipe. Do you want to show your hippie vegetarian friends some love? Black bean and sweet potato tacos make them happy.

Healthy Mexican Dinner: Tilapia Tacos + Black Bean Salad

You name it, I've probably tried to stuff it in a tortilla. Chicken. Vegetables. Donuts. Soup. Cans of beer. Okay, the last 3 didn't happen. I'd never disrespect a beer like that.

Today, our tortillas are stuffed with seasoned tilapia, a spicy jalapeno and cilantro onion salad, and fresh slices of ripe avocado. I mixed up a quick black bean salad to go on the side, which, incidentally, would also be great stuffed in a taco. If you're into planning ahead, make the salad the day before you want to eat it - it gets better with age.

Healthy Mexican Dinner: Tilapia Tacos + Black Bean Salad

One more thing - I know a lot of you follow this blog via Google Reader. As you may have heard, Google Reader is shutting down on July 1st, and I don't want to lose you guys as readers! I recommend switching over to BlogLovin' or Feedly as a replacement. I always update Facebook with new posts, so following me over there will keep you up to date as well. Thanks in advance for taking the time to make the switch!

Healthy Mexican Dinner: Tilapia Tacos + Black Bean Salad




For the tacos...

Ingredients:

1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (or reduced-fat sour cream)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (remove the seeds if you don't want a lot of spice)
1 cup thinly sliced white onion (about three-quarters of a large onion)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4-6 Tilapia fillets (if they're small, buy 6, if they're larger buy 4)
Non-stick cooking spray
8 small corn tortillas
Thinly sliced avocado

Directions:

Preheat the broiler to high, and spray a large baking dish (you may need 2 dishes to fit all the fish) with non-stick cooking spray.

Rinse the Tilapia, and thoroughly dry with paper towels. Set aside. 

Combine the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno in a mini-food processor. Pulse until smooth. Combine the yogurt sauce and sliced onions in a small bowl, toss to combine, and refrigerate until ready to use.

In a small bowl, stir together paprika, brown sugar, oregano, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Sprinkle the seasoning over the Tilapia, pressing to adhere. Place the Tilapia in the prepared baking dish, and broil until cooked through, 6-9 minutes.

While the Tilapia is cooking, heat the tortillas according to the package directions. To serve, divide onion mixture, Tilapia, and avocado evenly among the warmed tortillas. Serve immediately.  

Yield: 8 tacos

For the black bean salad...

Ingredients:

2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 limes, juiced
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 small shallots, diced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine the beans, juice of 1 lime, cilantro, shallots, olive oil, and cumin in a medium bowl. Taste, and add the juice of the second lime if desired (I like a lot of lime, but I know not everyone does!) Add salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Yield: 4 small portions

Printer-friendly 
Source: Taco recipe adapted from Cooking Light, black bean salad recipe adapted from The Kitchn

13 comments:

  1. Viva la tacos FOREVER! You can dedicate your blog to tacos, and you won't hear a complaint from this girl. I'm a sucker for tilapia too--these look crazy good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on being taco obsessed, and these tacos look obsession worthy! Especially taht black bean salad, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We JUST made tacos last night(chicken). Tacoholism is a serious addiction. Have you ever made your own corn or flour tortillas? It is actually super easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donuts in a tortilla? Yes, please!! But I would take these tacos without complaint, too :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better than tilapia in tacos, these look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious!! Now I want some tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloglovin is the best I've come by so far, but I will miss the ease of Google Reader being part of my Gmail stuff. Sigh.

    I have now bookmarked all of these tacos. You are the taco QUEEN, m'lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. made these last night for dinner and they are AMAZE! i wasn't sure about the brown sugar in the spice blend, but it's on point, and i'm obsessed with the onion mixture, i piled it on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This looks delicious. I love fish tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made shrimp tacos before but never fish and I totally should. These look just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiiii Maggie.
    I'm also a tacoholic.
    There may or may not have been scrambled egg tacos in our house this morning (with potato and bacon and jalapeno hash stuffed in there, too, cause, duh) so I hear you.
    You could be on to something with donut tacos?
    Or at the very least, dessert tacos? Think about it?

    These look delish and I love a good healthy taco to switch it up! Lovely pics. Hurray for the return of sunny afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adapted this into fajita form last night for our Cinco de Mayo weekend celebration. It was AWESOME. Thanks for the recipe!! That spice combination on the fish is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This just looks so so delicious, love the inclusion of avacado, my mouth is majorly watering!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio