Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon

Remember last August when I started an oven fire, and 5 firemen had to come and save me help this nincompoop who couldn't properly operate a broiler?

That was an embarrassing day.

This is the recipe that caused the fire! I know you're all dying to make it now, given that I'm prefacing the recipe with a story about it bursting into flames.  For obvious reasons, it took me about 7 months before I decided to make this again, but now that I know how to cook it without it igniting, it will be on the regular dinner rotation. This is officially my new favorite way to eat salmon. It gets popped in a quick marinade, broiled until crispy, and topped with a sweet, gingery glaze. Serve it with brown rice and you've got yourself an easy dinner for two.

Toasted Sesame Ginger Salmon

When I first cooked this in August, I made the grave error of putting the oven rack as close to the broiler as possible. Don't do that. This is an oil-based marinade that's going to spit and splatter while cooking, and you do not want it to splatter on the broiler coils.  I'm no expert on oven fires, but I'm pretty sure that's why things went awry last summer.

I can't say I'd mind if 5 firemen showed up again, but I'd prefer that it be for reasons other than extinguishing my kitchen fires. Just sayin'...



Ingredients:

For the salmon: 

2 (6-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets, preferably wild
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 large garlic clove, grated
1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
Kosher salt and black pepper
Sesame seeds
Sliced green onions

For the glaze: (If you like a lot of glaze, feel free to double the amounts below - especially if you're serving this recipe with rice. I made the glaze as written, and will probably double it next time.)

2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds

Directions:

Wash salmon and thoroughly pat dry.

Whisk together the olive oil, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger in a small baking dish. Place the salmon in the dish, and turn to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

While the salmon is marinating, preheat the broiler to high, and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a metal cooling rack on top. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the glaze. Cover, and set aside until ready to use.

After the salmon has marinated, place it directly on the wire rack, skin side down. Sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper. Broil for 10-12 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork. Adjust cooking time as necessary, depending on the thickness of your salmon - mine was about an inch at its thickest point.

Serve salmon immediately with the glaze, green onions, and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Serve with rice, if desired. I meant to include it in the picture, but I was so dang excited about making this without starting a fire that I 'dun forgot.

Yield: 2 servings

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

17 comments:

  1. Haaaa! Too funny about the oven fire. I'm glad you figured out the broiler, my boyfriend recently had his own broiler fiasco (that luckily did NOT result in the fire dept stopping by).

    This sounds amazing. I'm a sucker for fresh ginger and accidentally bought SEVERAL pounds of sesame seeds a while ago... so any excuse to use those is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will totally risk a fire for this salmon! Livin' on the edge baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was making Guinness Pie two days ago, I was scooping out the bacon from the hot skillet and putting it onto a napkin-lined plate to drain. The napkin caught fire. I stared at it for a second, then ran to the sink where I realized I could blow it out like a birthday candle. Then, I did it again. Oops! After that, I put the defrosted stew beef into the skillet and since the centers were unknowingly frozen, THAT caught fire too!

    Suffice to say, I know a little how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! I've had a bacon incident before. I poured hot bacon grease into a plastic Solo cup, and it INSTANTLY melted. I swear I wasn't cooking drunk...

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, now I'm scared to use my broiler :) This salmon looks worth it thought. Well, maybe not worth the house burning down. But maybe you could invite the firemen back for dinner?? :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Oh my god, I have so been there too! Unfortunately no firemen showed up for my fire. I was roasting tomatoes and I did the same thing with the rack. All of a sudden smoke started pouring out of my oven. Luckily there was just a lot of smoke, not a fire. I love salmon and am always looking for new quick ideas for it. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would probably taste good on sea bass too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks phenomenal, and has so many flavors I love. I've ignited things too close to the broiler, too, so now I safely broil everything from the middle rack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. I love me some salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! this looks delicious! I'm having salmon tonight, so I think i'll have a go at this recipe! :) have a super saturday!
    http://miyafood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laugh only because I've done the same thing! A few months ago, my salmon caught fire, which I was broiling too close to the broiler too..I caught it quick enough so I didn't have to call for reinforcements, but lesson learned! Your salmon looks perfect! Hope your hunky firemen were cute as well as helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I feel you - one time we went to grill salmon on a plank and the plank caught fire - not so fun. Your salmon looks lovely though - definitely will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tis the season for salmon right now and this looks delicious! I bought some cedar planks recently and have been thinking about cooking salmon on the planks in the grill. Maybe that will be safer :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was absolutely delicious, my husband said it was one of the best dishes he has ever had. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing :), it was the perfect early summer might dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio