Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lightened-Up Blueberry Lemon Greek Yogurt Bread


Lightened-Up Blueberry Lemon Greek Yogurt Bread

Oh, hai.

Remember me?

That girl who wrote an ode to tacos and then disappeared for two weeks?

Lightened-Up Blueberry Lemon Greek Yogurt Bread

Stuff got busy, man.

Annie came to visit. We drank Prosecco and ate lots of cheese at Cheesetique. Work was super busy, too. I went up to New Jersey for my Mom's birthday and Easter, where I finally got to enjoy a beer (okay, 4 beers) again after my Lenten fast.


I finally got my butt back in the kitchen on Tuesday night, and baked this lightened-up blueberry lemon Greek yogurt bread. I think we all know that most quickbreads are just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast. This is not cake. This bread is dense, but moist. It's sweet, but not dessert like. It's a true breakfast bread, and it's lightened-up enough that you can eat a huge slab of it without feeling guilty. I have enough guilt about the quantity of Reese's Eggs I've consumed over the past few days. Please tell me that some of you are having this problem too? I hid them in the freezer, which just made them taste even better.

Lightened-Up Blueberry Lemon Greek Yogurt Bread




Ingredients:

Non-stick cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fat-free lemon Greek yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Grated zest of two lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and long sides of a 9x5 metal bread pan with aluminum foil, and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. 

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, eggs, melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and lemon extract in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir gently until just combined. The batter will be extremely thick.

Sprinkle the blueberries with flour (a teaspoon or two), and toss to coat. This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the bread. Fold the blueberries into the batter. If any flour settled on the bottom of the bowl after tossing the blueberries, take care to avoid transferring the excess flour to the batter.

Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and lightly sprinkle the top with sugar. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. If your loaf starts getting too brown, tent it with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.

Yield: 8 thick slices

Printer-friendly
Source: Adapted from here, which I originally adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny

25 comments:

  1. WELCOME BACK!!! Looks like you were busy L-I-V-I-N! It is like you read my mind! I totally have been craving a blueberry crumble kinda quick bread. My only problem is that the blueberries do not last long enough for me to bake with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back.. This bread looks too good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drooling. Seriously this looks and sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop drooling and make some yourself :)

      Thanks Talaia!

      Delete
  4. This sounds soooo tasty. I could definitely use some lightening up. I've bee ngoing to town on Easter candy, too. I don't even like chocolate on it's own, but the 8 million solid chocolate bunnies I somehow received are calling my name... Luckily I convinced one of my aunts to go for an Easter fruit basket instead of a candy-filled basket, or I'd be in even worse trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's actually a brilliant idea to do an Easter fruit basket instead.

      Delete
  5. You've come back with a bang! This bread looks so delicious -- I know I will love this. The fact that it's practically guilty free, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not reading this post with a half-empty bag of Easter starburst jelly beans in front of me. And I didn't finish all the Cadbury chocolate eggs yesterday...but I absolutely need a big slice of this lightened up bread! Looks fantastic Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I forgot about starburst jelly beans. I need to hunt down some clearance Easter candy!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back to the blogosphere :) Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bread look amaaazing! I love blueberries!

    Mmm four beers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy, so summery! I'm interested in baking them in mini loaves...and temperature and time suggestions?
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it, but I'd do the same temperature, and start checking them around 35 minutes. If you try, please come back and let us know what length of time works!

      Delete
  10. Quick question! I just popped a loaf in the oven, but what about the zest? I am new to zesting so maybe I missed something. Smells awesome already though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth - sorry, my mistake! Left it out of the instructions. It should be added into the batter.

      Delete
  11. Hi, I baked this bread tonight following the directions and it has a funny acidic or alkaline taste in each bite. The batter was delicious...so some reaction happened when baking. I'm not sure exactly what is it, have you experienced this? Maybe something funny with all the lemon and baking soda/baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, sorry to hear that! I've made this a few times and it's always worked out fine. Could you have possibly added a tablespoon of baking soda and powder instead of a teaspoon? That could definitely contribute to a weird taste. Also make sure that when you're zesting the lemons to only get the peel and not any of the white pith underneath (which is very bitter). Let me know if you give it another try!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I didn't know that part about the lemon! I will be more careful grating!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio