Sunday, June 23, 2013

Tomato, Sausage, and Spinach Risotto

Tomato, Sausage, and Spinach Risotto

I've totally procrastinated posting this recipe because I'm not really digging the photo. Pretty photos take time, and I refuse to let my risotto get cold and gummy while I stage a photo-shoot. 

Please don't let my mediocre photography skills deter you from trying this, because this is the BEST EFFING RISOTTO IN THE UNIVERSE.

I'm sorry for cursing, shouting, and making sweeping unsubstantiated claims.

But listen you guys...


Trust me. I've made a lot of risottos over the years, and they all pale in comparison to this one. It's so flavorful and creamy and perfect that I texted approximately four different people while eating it, just to tell them how amazing it is.

Here's what you'll need for about 4 servings:

1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, in their juices
3 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
3 mild Italian sausage links, casings removed
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup arborio rice
5 ounces baby spinach
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste (Mine didn't need additional salt - the parmesan and chicken stock add a lot, so taste before seasoning)

In a medium saucepan, bring the tomatoes and chicken stock to a low simmer.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sausage. Cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon until browned all over, about 6 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium, and add the rice, tossing to coat. Toast the rice for 1 minute.

Add the wine and stir until most of it evaporates, about 1 minute.

Pour the tomato/stock mixture into the skillet one ladle at a time. Allow the liquid to evaporate as much as possible before adding another ladle, stirring constantly. Continue until you've added all the stock, and the rice is creamy, about 30 minutes.

Remove from heat, and toss in butter and cheese. Add the spinach, and toss until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with additional parmesan cheese.

Source: Adapted from Bev Cooks


  1. You were gone for a while, was wondering when you'd be back! This risotto sounds amazing -- hope it's just as good with veggie sausage links. Can't wait to try it out.

    1. I used to be a vegetarian, and STILL buy the veggie breakfast sausage once in awhile! As far as fake meats go, I feel like they've mastered sausage!

  2. Yeah, this looks pretty bomb. And the photo is just fine--check out my blog right now, ugh, gross. I hate shooting after dark because I have no adequate lighting. The risotto DOES look amazing though--I looove sausage and the flavors you have compliment it nicely.

  3. I think your photo came out lovely! At least you didn't forget to snap the shot before you started to eat... Frankly, I often forget "final product" photos because I can't wait to eat! Thank you for the great recipe... I can't wait to give it a try!

  4. I love the tomato addition to the stock! I would have never thought to do that! I believe you, this does sound like the best effing risotto ever!

  5. I love how you apologize for swearing here when your blog's name is "A Bitchin' Kitchen", lol. Anyhoo, this risotto looks delicious!! I've been on a big risotto kick, so this will be made soon. Great recipe!!!

  6. The risotto looks fantastic. Stop worrying about the pic!!!! We can so relate.

  7. OK you convinced me- I guess I need to try this risotto!


  8. Hello! Thanks so much for your post! I came home from the grocery store yesterday all ready to make cauliflower-crust pizza and then my fiance told me he was craving risotto on his drive back home today so I decided to switch gears and look for risotto that called for whatever I had on-hand or had just purchased at the store!
    I made this recipe vegetarian-style and it was delicious! My fiance said multiple times how good it was!
    I used my own stock (water + 1 tsp jerk seasoning + salt to taste), no sausage, medium grain rice and dry red wine b/c i didn't have dry white.
    Everything else was the same and it was SO good!
    Thanks again!
    P.S. I think this is a hard dish to get a good pic of in general but you did a great job! :)

  9. I want to make sure I understand this, you cook the sausage and onion, then keep it in the pan and cook the risotto?
    Thanks! =)

  10. cant wait to try this one it is right up my alley yum!


Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio